Put a bit too much work into this to call it a doodle now, but it’s mostly a fun piece. Haven’t had the chance to draw or paint in a long time, and really feel like I needed to do something for myself.
Want to finish this pic though. Not sure what it’s actually about, hah.
Slightly less updates for a few days. I have an essay to do which has a deadline before all my other work, so art is taking the backburner for a couple of days.
But hey, starting another project at university on Tuesday, so there’ll be some stuff for that then.
Beginning the clean up of the cast today. Fibreglass doesn’t photograph well for me. Can’t wait to prime it.
The largest hole on the model is the one in that bottom right picture, and it has a couple of awkward ones in the face, too, but it’s not too bad other than that. I think I know how to avoid having chunks this big missing the next time around, just need to remember to put it into practice.
Need to figure out how I’m going to do the mouth now. I have a few ideas, but I may have to leave it until next week when I have a tutor to nag for advice!
Hopefully making some moulds of some mushrooms for details on it tomorrow.
My fibreglass cast came out ok! Especially considering it was a really awkwardly shaped mould.
Cleaning up seamlines and filling in the holes before posting a picture, but it’s looking pretty good.
Did not manage to separate the two bits of the mould that I inadvertently locked together. It’ll be fine to do as a single part mould, I’m just going to be shoving copious amounts of chopped strand into the legs and praying that they come out. Even if they don’t, they can easily be made up with car body filler or milliput, so again, not a disaster.
I’m also going to try and cast some mushrooms tomorrow if I get the time. I’m using oyster mushrooms, because they look fairly similar to the kind I had imagined being stuck on the joints of the Dugbog design I did.
Also we finished our week of life sculpting last week.
Should have added more identifiable eyeballs. Looks creepy with the empty sockets. Buuut for a two day sculpt, I’m really pleased with it!
The back end of the mould has come out surprisingly ok. There’s a few chips around the edges, but I think the only major air bubble is in the left (right on the lower pic) forearm, which is pretty easily fixable. Also had to add more plaster on to the head, noticed a really thin patch while I was removing the clay, so that was a real potential disaster averted!
Haven’t yet managed to take the front and middle mould pieces apart, but we’re giving that a go tomorrow. If it doesn’t work, I can always just cast it as one piece, though it’ll be considerably more fiddly than doing it in two would be. All part of the learning experience though, I know exactly what not to do on the next go around.
But yeah. Cleaning it out properly and sealing it tomorrow. Hopefully casting on wednesday.
Hopefully taking the mould apart today.
I’ve made it difficult for myself by building the wall in a way that locks two pieces of it in place really well.
I’m also wary that there are going to be some horrendous air bubbles, seeing as there are a lot of undercuts in this model which were hellishly difficult to get plaster into. I can fill them in once the mould is apart, but it is a bit of extra work that could have been avoided.
It’s still going to be possible to get it apart, and the cast from it, and I can take it as a learning experience for the next thing I do.
Full body sculpting is more difficult than portrait, shockingly.
Took a bit longer to get started because the armature is a lot more complicated. Continuing this one on Friday.
Lifesculpting week is this week! So today was sculpting a portrait from a model. Still rough, will be doing the same sculpt on thursday though, which I’m lookig forwards to.
Should be moulding the dugbog sculpt on wednesday and handing in another project at the same time. Very busy.